Tuesday, September 19, 2006

handsonusaalumni : Message: HOUSA's ripple effect

Here is an excerpt of a letter I wrote to HandsonUSA alumni:

handsonusaalumni : Message: HOUSA's ripple effect:
"One of my favorite parts of any day in Biloxi is the nightly meeting. Indeed I have written regularly about the meetings
(for instance: here , or here , or even here ...lol) That said, two HOUSA 'meeting themes' that I think back regularly are Darius' ripple effect (how our actions multiply and go on and effect others that then effect others) and how a volunteer in January (I can picture you, I think you are from TN but I do not remember your name, sorry!) commented on how he was a better person while at Handson and he challenged us all to take that attitude back home and reminded us that their were Humane Societies, soup kitchens, and poor people who needed help everywhere.

Well, you will be glad to know that we have put the two ideas together. The result? A local version of Handson! This semester we have already had two local service days where we recreate a HOUSA day. For instance, this past Saturday we had over 100 volunteers at a central location and then went out to nine sites (SPCA, Community Theater, hospital, State Park, trail building project, local HS, etc) and volunteered for the day"

No comments: