Sunday, March 12, 2006

The Sun Herald | 03/12/2006 | Helping ands

Dr. Bob just called to tell me about this. I guess there are several pictures as well in the actual paper (but not online)

The Sun Herald | 03/12/2006 | Helping ands:
"After coming down here in October, I felt like it was something I had to do,' Francis said. 'It completely changed what I want to do with my life. I feel something like this will make me much happier.'

Francis is one of about 300 students, faculty, alumni and community members from St. Bonaventure who spent last week ripping floors and walls out of houses destroyed by Hurricane Katrina.

Members of the group said they were working hard, but they're also having fun. The radio blared at one home they were gutting in East Biloxi, and students sang at the top of their lungs as they hauled out drywall and tile.

Their words were muffled by the masks they wore, but their enthusiasm was clear as they sang along to 'Don't Stop Believin' ' by Journey. The students said it is an appropriate song for South Mississippi.

More in article.
'It's amazing to be able to help people,' said Meghan Backus, also a senior at St. Bonaventure who came to the Coast in October and immediately began planning the spring-break trip."

No comments: