Tuesday, February 28, 2006

WP: Two-thirds of Katrina donations exhausted - washingtonpost.com Highlights - MSNBC.com

WP: Two-thirds of Katrina donations exhausted - washingtonpost.com Highlights - MSNBC.com:
"'Even if we doubled, tripled or quadrupled what we have, we still wouldn't be able to meet the need,' said Gary Lundstrom, director of projects for Samaritan's Purse, which is rebuilding homes along the Mississippi coast and in Louisiana's ravaged St. Bernard Parish with much of its $34 million.

Despite the charitable outpouring, some victims feel shortchanged. And there is often a disconnect between the realities of how much has been contributed and the vastness of the need...."
This link was sent to me by someone who will remain nameless, but (s)he had a very good point. Imagine if the large relief agencies had the same level of efficiency/productivity of the smaller volunteer operations.

I know it will be hard the next time a disaster strikes, but I for one will be sure to change my giving habits based off of what I have learned from Katrina. I hope many more do too!

(This is by no means a cut on Samaritan's Purse who I have had VERY limited dealings with and the limited experience was very satisfactory.)

No comments: