Thursday, February 24, 2005

Yahoo! News - Study: Drug Helps Bleeding Stroke Patients

Yahoo! News - Study: Drug Helps Bleeding Stroke Patients

Now there is a new treatment that shows promise. Treat the strokes with the same drug that helps fight hemophilia!

" Researchers tested recombinant activated factor VIIa, a clot-forming drug sold as NovoSeven since 1999 for hemophilia, against bleeding strokes. The findings were reported in Thursday's New England Journal of Medicine (news - web sites). The study was funded by the drug's maker, Novo Nordisk, and Mayer gets consulting fees from the company."

This is exciting news! I can not tell you the number of times I have tried to think of a way to treat bleeding strokes--not that I really had much of a shot at coming up with a solution, but you never know.

Why the concern? Because my uncle John has one of these strokes. He is one of the lucky ones and has recovered to a GREAT extent, but when it happened it was awful: sitting there not knowing what to do for him and worse yet the doctors did not knowing how to treat it.

And if it happened to him, it could happen to others in my family. So I really have devoted quite a bit of thought to it.

However, with an effective treatment seemingly on the horizon, I will sleep easier tonight. :)

No comments: