Friday, April 07, 2006

A great Story from Mary Robbins

North East Booster:
"Mary T. Robbins, reporter for the Northeast Reporter newspaper, recently teamed up with the Hands on USA volunteer network in Biloxi, Miss., on a mission to rehab houses, remove debris, counsel survivors and rebuild in the aftermath of Hurricane Katrina. This is her account of her experiences"
...Oh yeah, she was there with some others from SBU! ;)

"An e-mail I had received about a month ago invited me to join 300 students and alumni from my alma mater, St. Bonaventure University, to spend "spring break" volunteering in the Katrina relief efforts. It set the wheels in motion.

As a reporter for 17 years, I'm used to covering scenes of destruction, fires, horrible accidents, homicides. Nothing prepared me for the destruction I saw in Biloxi or nearby Bay St. Louis.

Six months after Katrina, devastation is everywhere.

So is a hopeful spirit."

Be sure to read the rest!


No comments: