Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Did Katrina contaminate soil?

First off, I really doubt whether most places are "contaminated", but I am including this because on two of my four trips to the area, I have had some weird rash on my ankles, so maybe???

From the Sun Herald:
"Dr. Hunter Phillips III, a Biloxi dermatologist, said, "We have seen a ton of unusual rashes, but none that I can pinpoint directly on metal poisoning. Heavy metal problems may take longer to develop. I wonder, though, whether (Katrina caused) the soil to change to grow more virulent fungi...."

"Wilma Subra, a chemist and microbiologist who owns environmental consulting firm Subra Company, took tidal sediment samples along the Coast after the hurricane. Those samples came back with high levels of bacteria, yeast, mold and the toxic metalloid arsenic, she said...Officials at Mississippi's Department of Environmental Quality have said that South Mississippi soils naturally contain heavy metals like arsenic, and Subra's results fall within that range."

No comments: