Friday, December 03, 2004

Marv Levy's book

The Buffalo News has been publishing selections from Marv Levy's new Autobiography entitled Where Else Would You Rather Be? It seems pretty good and NOTHING like any other NFL coach I have ever read about!

For instance from the first installment:

"The ball rose, twirling end over end into the balmy Florida night sky. Forty-seven yards away from where it had been launched, the goal posts beckoned. An eerie silence descended on the packed stadium as the eyes of more than 70,000
people followed the solitary missile on its lonely journey. Elsewhere, in front of television sets throughout the world, millions of enthralled viewers joined in the vigil.

Standing just outside the perimeter of the playing field, I too, mouth agape, gazed transfixed as the ball's flight reached its apex and then continued hurtling toward the uprights' outstretched arms."


Of course he is talking about the infamous "Wide Right" kick. A kick that had it gone through "the upright's outstreched arms" would have won the Bills a Super Bowl.

(Interesting trivia: Scott Norwood, the unlucky kicker who will be forever mentioned in conjunction with the kick, is a JMU grad!)

Levy really is one of the more interesting people you will ever hear speak.
Some of his quotes are great!

He is an out spoken opponet of hunting. His famous line on why he dislikes hunting is:
"When I was twelve, I went hunting with my father and we shot a bird. He was laying there and something struck me. Why do we call this fun to kill this creature who was as happy as I was when I woke up this morning."

When looking for the quote, I stumbled upon this old article by Vic Carucci on Levy.

I can not wait to read his book. I wish it were out on CD (unabridged). Actually I really wish he would read it himself on CD!

No comments: