Sunday, January 16, 2005

Randomtopics2_squared #2

Had some people comment favorably on the last random post, so I'll do another.

I really hope the Iraqi elections are peaceful and with large turnouts...not that I am expecting it, but I hope so! A caller on C-Span brought up a great point on Friday: when a nation democratizes, it tends (with some exceptions) to grow less hostile. Let's hope it works in Iraq.

Having just reread Gettysburg and Grant Comes East, I have found myself defending alternative histories from some who claim they are a waste of time. I do think alternative histories are important as they help us to understand not only that things could be different, but also how often there is randomness and luck involved in the final outcome. Moreover, they allow us to better imagine what each person might have been thinking at the time. That said, there is a place for them and it is along side (or behind) standard histories and not instead of the actual history. To put it another way, do I feel I know more about the US Civil War for having read Gettysburg and Grant Comes East? Absolutely yes.

Going to an innaguraual ball looks like punishment. I think I would find an excuse to not go. It need not even be a good excuse.

I was definitely surprised by Beltran signing with the Mets!...Newsday ran a great story on another Met hopeful Andres Galarraga, I did not know his cancer returned. Go read the article, it is short and I am sure you will be hoping he makes the team. I know I am!

It is amazing how fast one can become addicted to wireless internet and how much being tied down to a computer (when your laptop breaks) is annoying...slow loading anti-virus packages are even more annoying!...a ten month leadtime from when you submit a paper to the actual conference is too long...but then again 12 weeks from ordering a car to delivery seems ridiculous as well. That is what we heard on a Toyota Matrix....But maybe good things do come to those who wait: before Christmas there was a waiting list at WNY bookstores for Marv Levy's book . I can see why. It is really good. Definitely recommended!

If I were a sure top 5 draft pick would I come back to college for an extra year? I do no think so, but I sure admire Matt Leinart to going with what he wanted to do. I hope he has a great year and stays uninjured!

Classes start again this week. I am teaching 3 MBA classes and one undergrad class. I really like it, but still never look forward to starting up again.

I have decided to compile the FinanceProfessorblog posts into a more or less regular monthly newsletter.

Nap time...

No comments: