Wednesday, January 19, 2005

Winter training and eating

I mentioned a while ago that I had been reading Chris Carmichael's new Diet book:

From my 8/17/04 newsletter:
What am I reading? Chris Carmichael’s Food for Fitness. Yes he is Lance’s coach. I like
it. He has some very good ideas. For example, just as your training
changes from season to season, so too do your nutritional needs. Which
is obvious, but often overlooked.
Today I looked at PowerBar's site and they have much the same, so I thought you might be interested:
  • "It’s January—there’s less daylight and it’s either raining, snowing, or just plain cold outside. And while your weekly mileage may be low, the sugar plum fairies that bring all those holiday desserts are working overtime."
  • "<>In a nutshell, strategic reduction of carbohydrates, especially refined carbs, during periods of reduced physical activity can help ease the transition from one competitive season to the next.

    Experts like to say “Nutrition won’t win races, but it can lose them.” That applies not only to the days leading up to an important race, but to the months prior as well."

To read more, check out Powerbar

No comments: