Tuesday, December 13, 2005

A letter to the editor that all volunteers should read!

If you are on the fence as to whether to volunteer or not, or if you wonder if your efforts are appreciated, read the following email that I received:

"Hello Jim,

My name is S____, I too am a HOUSA volunteer. I haven't had a chance to meet you, but maybe we will on your next trip....I know that you have been working on motivating your students for this coming relief mission and I found this recent letter in the Sun Herald. I hope that it is helpful:

Letter to the editor of the Sun Herald:

"Grateful hearts for your willing hands

I want to thank all of the volunteers who live here and especially those who have traveled from all over the States to come lend a helping hand during these trying times. I think it is great to have so many people taking off from their jobs and traveling away from their families to show the kindness of their hearts.

It is one thing to come a few days after a major tragedy like Hurricane Katrina, but it is another thing to come two and three months after the storm. Many people do not have the money right now to pay people to remove the debris from their yards and tear out carpet and sheetrock. It is wonderful to have help with these laborious tasks.


ERIC CLOYD-SIMCOE
Gulfport"
END OF LETTER TO THE EDITOR.

The email from the HANDSON volunteer also contained the following:
"Personally, I have to say that my experiences in Mississippi have all been deeply meaningful - whether it was in the days immediately after the hurricane when I first arrived (August 31st), or a on subsequent trip. ...I have a feeling that this coming trip (#4) may somehow be the most meaningful of all. In the end, no trip, has been more, or less, important than the others. They each had their own importance and meaning. Knowing what I know now, I would not want to have to tell someone one day in the future that I had the opportunity to go to Mississippi to help with the relief and that I did not go. "

Warmest wishes on your endeavors,

S____ S____

I removed the name of the volunteer (since I do not yet have permission) but hope to get it as she should be acknowledged as a hero in this releif effort!

So are you coming? Bonaventure Responds

No comments: