Saturday, July 08, 2006

A first for me! Moving people into their home!

Several largely unrelated topics in today's blog entry:

* Today was house gutting day (AKA Interiors). The house was in East Biloxi and had been started before. Even then it was quite a job and we did not quite finish. But it was a good gutting day (really my first--and probably only) good interior day I have had this trip down. And while I hope I never need to again (as in no more disasters), there really is something therapeutic about tearing down walls and pulling out nails, insulation, and everything else.

Because of a planning meeting for Handson long-timers on Hurricane preparation (ride out a Category 1 leave for anything more severe), we had to stop work early (2:10 so that tools could be picked up etc.).

For change I ran back from the job site (not directly back). While there was too much traffic to make it a favorite run, it was fun for a change. Then by a bizarre stroke of luck as I was just about done with the run I heard a shouted "Jim".

It was Bill Driscoll putting the finishing touches on a new shed at Our Lady Of Fatima Church (across from Handson). Of course I stopped, talked for a bit, and asked if he needed any help.

While they didn't really need help, he and his Persevere Volunteers were kind enough to let me in on a fun job, a job that absolutely any volunteer from the early days would absolutely love to have had: helping a family move INTO their new home! So after dragging untold numbers of chairs, beds, and cabinets out to the curb, today I got to carry stuff into a rooms. What a treat! Thanks

After the move I got a tour of Persevere's home base. It is really a nice set-up that will allow them to do many really great things for the local residents. Keep up the great work "guys"!


* On the run today I ran on the beach for a while. Much of it is still closed and even the sections that are open are closed for swimming. Indeed, there is still much work to be done on "beach cleanup"as miles of water are littered with trees, parts of roofs, and other debris.

* Tomorrow I am signed up for mold removal in Bay St. Louis. Tonight I ran into Beau who heads the Handson operation there. He said things are going very well there and the town was getting cleaner, but that like everywhere along the coast, there is still much work to be done. He especially suggested that those who can install doors and windows are in high demand. So if you can, why not come down for a while. Even a few days will make a huge difference in the lives of many.

* Monika along-term volunteer got a new puppy today. I think there are three dogs and the puppy here now. I still get worried they will be hit by a car EVERY time I see them.

*Meals today: pancakes and cereal for breakfast, I skipped lunch, and then spaghetti for dinner. And of course, the almost every day 3 peanut butter and jelly sandwiches for a "late" night snack.

Ok, well I out of news. I apologize for the boringness of this post, but the ideas I had for entries will take more time to develop than I had to devote tonight.

No comments: