Sunday, July 09, 2006

What I didn't say tonight and what I said (sort of)

It's that time again. Time to say goodbye. I hate leaving. I have a million things to do when I get home, but still find leaving to be awful. But alas, it is that time.

Handson has a well established tradition of allowing volunteers to say good bye on their last day. It is my favorite part (although saddest part) of every nightly meeting, but personally I hate leaving so much that the public admission of leaving is always somewhat painful.

For much of the day as I worked with the mold team (appropriately nicknamed the Bay City Molders) worked in Bay St. Louis, I thought of what I was going to say.

I thought back to previous departure speeches of other volunteers as well as my own. I remember asking Darius if I could say a few words the first time (the tradition was not yet established) and then of thanking the HandsonUSA crew for not only letting us come down, but for all of the great work they were doing and promised to return as soon as possible.

Then in January, I decided not to say good bye, but rather until next time. In my March good-bye I echoed the words of other volunteers who had said that we can all take a bit of the Handson spirit back to our homes. (In a stroke of good fortune, this was then used to wrap up a PBS report on the Recovery Efforts in the Gulf. SO you can see it here if you want.)

But what could I say today? I couldn't say, just kidding, I am staying for a while longer. I couldn't just say, "hey great job, see you later".

The bar, which had been set high by all of the previous volunteers, was raised even further by Janos last night as he challenged us all to use our minds as well as our hands to find new ways to help people. That with a bit of creativity, perseverence, and hard work, we can accomplish much.

So what to say? As we were wrapping up the mold job, I took in the perfect idea. Literally. I accidentally vacuumed up the letter "U" from scrabble game.

Only after the fact did I realize it would have been the perfect accompaniment: I would stand in front of the volunteers with the letter U and say that "U" are the most important person for the residents of this community and the community back at home. That "U" can make things better. That "U" are making things better. And end with a Thank "U".

But the letter prop was now long gone, and because of the late work we almost missed the meeting, so I had no time to make a "U". So the speech was not from my mind, but from my heart. So to the best of my memory and with only slight alternations (ok, more than slight, but had I had a bit more time to think about it this is what I would have said ;) ), my goodbye:
"You are all doing a great job. While many of my words are aimed at the long timers, they are equally true for you all.

You are really doing a great job. I totally understand and appreciate the temptation to fall into a rut and believe that your actions do not have much impact any more. To think that eleven months after the storm, things are not as important or as pressing as they once were. To get discouraged. To believe the naysayers who are there at every turn saying "what can one person do, why bother?" To take the easy road and not push that extra mile to make a difference, to be the difference.

Don't fall into that trap. You are making a difference. You are making a great difference.

Two quick stories to drive that point home:

Today as you know we worked on a mold job in Bay St. Louis. We had to begin by removing dried mud from the rafters of the two story house. It is 11 months after the storm. 11 months. Almost a year later and we are still removing mud.

There is a lot of work left to be done. And you are the ones doing it. So from the local residents, from those around the country, and those around the world, and mostly from me, THANK YOU.

My second story is shorter and happier. Yesterday I helped move a family into their new home. 11 months after the storm and that was the first time I had that I moved people into their home. What a great feeling.

So while there is much much to be done, progress is being made. It's there. My trips down have been spaced enough to allow me to see the progress. Those of you who are here every day may not have that luxury. But trust me it is happening.

I have sort of made a tradition of not saying goodbye but rather "until next time" in these "good byes" and this time will be no different. I will definitely be back and I look forward to working with you all again as soon as possible. Thank you for everything and keep in touch!
Gee, maybe I should stay another day just to use the speech ;)

No comments: