Wednesday, July 06, 2005

The Chautaugua Institute's Book Club

ciweb.org | Education | Book Club (CLSC)

Speaking of Jefferson, The Chautaugua Institute is a very Jeffersonian Ideal. It is located only about 45 minutes from SBU. I had no idea that "Theodore Roosevelt termed it "the most American thing in America"."

While I am not suggesting everyone take a trip to visit (although it would be fun), I just learned they have a reading list that is published every year. Their list for this year is here. I am embarassed to say I have read none of these.

What is even more fascinating however, is that their web site also has the reading list (in PDF format) going back each year from 1878 to the present! It is a good look at what they felt was important each year. It sure make's Oprah's list look well, weak.

No comments: