Sunday, January 01, 2006

Walking dogs and cleaning cemeteries

New Year’s Eve in Biloxi

This will be a shorter update as the computer connection is literally at a standstill…I am beginning to think it is my computer setup, but one way or the other this is SLOW.

As promised, this morning a group of us went and worked with the Humane Society. The Humane Society is located out by the airport next to a golf course that was largely destroyed by Katrina. While this is awful for golfers, it gives the Humane Society a nice place to walk dogs. And wow did we walk dogs.

I bet I personally walked 20-25 dogs today. Some puppies, some really big dogs, and some really small dogs. It was fun (mostly). The dogs were great. I felt so sorry for them. Of course this is the person who can not stand to see Bonnie locked in her room, so seeing them in any caged area is troubling. But it was clean and the animals were all well cared for. I hope they all get adopted (more on this later).

We also cleaned some of their “runs” or cages and fed the dogs. Others in our groups fed and played with the cats. While it took longer then we had hoped--it seemed like they just kept finding more and more dogs—the dogs loved, coveted, adored, lusted after, liked, and really enjoyed the attention. Their moods all picked up once they were out on the fairways or playing out in front. All in all it was good and something I definitely should do at home too. Will I? Maybe. I thought about it quite a bit coming down the old 14th, but there is just never seems to be enough time when home.

A large group of the dogs have been adopted (or at least being shipped for adoption) to Maine. That said, it was also amazing how many people did come in to adopt animals--it seemed most wanted small dogs—indeed two asked for dogs small enough for a FEMA trailer.

I was asked whether the dogs were hurricane dogs (dogs separated from their families by Katrina). I do not know. In some sense more were than would appear at first glance. Why? Because it is likely that many people chose to give up their dogs after they lost the house and had less room to care for the dog. However, I really do not know but will ask. By the way, the Humane Society of Southern Mississippi’s website is definitely worth a look!

After the Humane Society we headed over to the very large clean-up in progress at the public cemetery near Rt. 90 and the Air Force Base. The majority of Hansdon was at this site today. We missed most of the work but did get to work for a couple hours on the north side of the tracks.

The city had three employees working on the cemetery. Even optimistically, it would take the three of them, no matter how good they are at what they do, months to accomplish what will take the volunteers about 2 days. There were MANY people on the job and it looks MUCH better . I hope there are some before and after pictures floating around. I will look for them. (I have another blog idea on this project so stay tuned!)

My sister once told me the only thing---“the only thing?” “Yes the only thing”---that I am even a little good at is raking. I got to rake to my heart’s content in the cemetery. So
I liked working in the cemetery. In fact I am looking forward to more of it tomorrow!

Well that is about it. Sorry today’s entry was so boring. I’ll try to do better next year (note the time and date I wrote this ;) ) (11:31 CST on 12/31/2005)

Short bits

* Tonight we are had/are having a bonfire, but most people went to various parties and/or New Orleans for New Year’s Eve celebrations.
* Dinner was grilled cheese sandwiches and tomato soup. It was cooked by some volunteers from the US Air Force.
* There was a yoga workout this AM at Handson. I missed it as I had no idea and showered after my run. They seemed to be about done by the time I done and came for breakfast. Oh well, maybe tomorrow?
* This evening I ran with Miguel (from Orlando). I guess we went for about 4 miles. It was good, but so foggy that Sherlock Holmes would have been right at home. That said, the weather was quite warm (about 70). The fog rolled in (literally you could see it coming in waves!) at about 2 PM. Really unlike WNY weather!
* Tomorrow I plan on repeating today but in fast forward speed. We are going to the Humane Society (until 10) and then over to the Cemetery. The afternoon is a scheduled easy day here. Depending on what time the Cemetery is completed, Jen and I might head over to Ocean Springs and/or Bay St. Louis to meet some other groups to see how they can accommodate us for the spring.
* A BBQ and volley-ball tournament are planned out back tomorow afternoon
* HAPPY NEW YEAR!!

No comments: